Welcome to High School News and Updates! For questions, please contact your high school advisor directly before calling our office. Advisor and teachers’ contact information is located on the Staff Contact web page. Event information can also be found at the High School Calendar. To join the newsflash email list to receive updates, add updates/events/or corrections, please email details to email@example.com
- Townhall Meeting & PEP Meeting- Monday, January 22nd @10 am room F
- Elegant Evening of the Arts – Monday, March 5th, @1-3:00 pm in room B/C
- Elegant Evening of the Arts – Friday, April 27th!
- HS Choir Wednesdays @12-1:15 pm room E
- HS Tutoring Wednesdays @12-3 pm room D
All kudos and concerns are welcome!
New! Save the date! Elegant Evening of the Arts is coming on Friday, April 27th! This fun evening of music and art is our showcase event for our talented students. You won’t want to miss it! More information coming soon.
Vendor Services open enrollment will be from January 8 – 31, 2018. Students new to VOCS after the September registration deadline or students who would like to change vendors have the opportunity to do so at that time. Forms will be available on January 8th at the front desk. Forms not completed, signed off, and returned to the front desk by January 31, 2018, at 4:00 p.m. will NOT be eligible for second semester services or changes. Students may not begin new services until February 1, 2018. Students making no changes will continue services as usual for the remainder of the school year. Questions? Contact Ms. Darla in the front office – 822-6900.
Museum Card: It is time to for any families new to VOCS to have the opportunity to sign up for a Maturango Museum card. If you would like to have one, please let your High School advisor know before January 31, 2018. Cards will be available for those who have completed an application form beginning January 8, 2018.
Drop Off and Pick Up Info for our Main Campus: Please drop off and pick up students at the sidewalk in front of our main building. Today we had a “near accident” when a truck didn’t see a student crossing South Street. If at all possible do not wait for your students on the opposite side of the street. Thank You!
Next PEP meeting scheduled for 1/22/18 at 10:00 am. This is an early meeting because we have our mid-year Star Renaissance testing going on at the same time! You can schedule your 3rd-8th grade students to test and then come down to Room E for a Townhall/PEP meeting. New attendees are always welcome! Come give your ideas, suggestions, etc. and help plan fun activities for students in our school. * Child Care for 2nd grade and younger will be provided.
See’s Candy Valentine’s Sale! Our VO High School Prom Committee is raising money to help pay for this year’s VO HS Prom. Let’s all help them out by ordering yummy Valentine’s treats for our friends and family… it’s a win/win!
Seniors and Bakersfield College: If you are planning on attending Bakersfield College next year after you graduate, let Mr. Karnes know as soon as possible. A Bakersfield College representative is ready to come to Tehachapi to help you enroll, take your placement tests, and get you started on registration for classes. Mr. Karnes just needs to know if we have any students planning on attending Bakersfield College.
PE logs are due on Tuesdays. You can drop the logs off in Rooms D, E, F or G.
CSUB Fab Lab: Fab Lab is short for “Fabrication Laboratory.” CSUB Fab Lab is based on the MIT-designed model, which inspired their popular class “How to Make (Almost) Anything”. The CSUB Fab Lab is a community resource and is available to virtually everyone in the community. The goal of Fab Labs is to provide access to advanced technologies to help anyone, anywhere “make almost anything.” In other Fab Labs around the world, frequent Fabbers and Makers include engineers and architects, small manufacturing businesses, students, artists, theatrical set designers, teachers, inventors, musicians, seamstresses, and even kids as young as 8 years old!
The Fab Lab at CSUB has the following equipment:
- 3D Printer
- Laser Etcher/Cutter
- CNC 3-Axis Router
- High resolution NC milling machine
- NC knife/signmaker
- Fabrication Shop Tools
- Computer Stations each loaded with Solidworks, AutoCAD, Inventor, MasterCAM, Corel
CSUB Fab Lab is intended to be a community resource. They provide weekly community access to the lab through a publicly posted schedule. CSUB Fab Lab has a very kid-friendly environment with age-appropriate programs to give young Fabbers a fun and educational experience in developing analytical thinking, creative problem-solving and team-building skills. They offer youth-oriented training workshops for middle and high school students. Access to the Fab Lab is free! Materials and space are limited, training and open access need to be reserved through the Eventbrite page. Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult. Click on links below for more info.
- Pizza Tuesdays: On Tuesdays, Hungry Howie’s Pizza will be sold during lunch at $3 a slice. Slices will be 1/6 of a large pizza. Proceeds will benefit our High School ASB.
- VOCS T-Shirt/Sweatshirts are available to purchase. Please see the attached flyer. A portion of the cost will be donated to the VOCS ASB. Show your school spirit and get yours now. Forms are available in the office.
- VOCS Tote Bags are available to purchase. Cost is $5.00 each. They come in red, blue, or green (handles and color of wording on the tote bag). Proceeds will help benefit fun activities for the K-12 students. See attached flyer. VOCS Tote Bags Flyer
- Help us Recycle! Valley Oaks is recycling bottles and cans at school to help fund our High School ASB. If you have any recyclables that you would like to donate, please bring them in anytime during the school year. We will gladly recycle anything that comes our way.
- We have VOCS BUMPER STICKERS!! Show your VOCS pride and get yours today in the Office. Only $2 each.
- VOCS Pencil lanyards! Stop by the office and check out the VOCS lanyards. Cost is $5.00. Proceeds will help fund enrichment activities.
Reminder-All Students: Valley Oaks has a closed campus policy, which means students must remain on campus at all times. It is your responsibility to remain on campus until your classes are over. If a written consent form is on file with the front office, Juniors and Seniors are allowed to leave campus and must sign in and out before leaving.
Sign-In and Sign-Out Reminder! For safety reasons, parents please remember to sign in and out at the front office if you plan to stay on campus for a period of time. If you are visiting the Annex, be sure to sign in and out in the first classroom. Students attending tutoring sessions and/or study hall must sign in and out of the classroom they are working in, while on campus. All students attending classes do not need to sign in and out because attendance will be taken. We appreciate your effort to keep everyone safe while on campus.